Sunday, October 31, 2010

EXP 2: Week 7: Research Continued...

Entity Rotation Fall Through Problem:
Upon further implementation of my porosity lens concept and testing I discovered that when an basic physics entity is rotated the enabling of collisions is disabled, thus one falls right through when walking on the surface. However after discussing the issue with a friend he suggested I try implementing a small physics impulse to reset the physics upon each frame. Furthermore after posting it within the forum, Russell suggested that rather using a basic physics entity I rather use a Geometric Entity. Upon testing this I discovered that this was the best solution due to the simplicity of it, as it allowed me to walk over any surface of the rotated entity. However due to time constraints I was unable to go through the long process of switching all 27 components to geometric entities before re positioning them, so rather I decided to portray my porosity lens through AI’s. This proved to work very well from an external filming point of view as well as first person due to the manner in which particular AI expressions are rather depressed, enhancing the persona of my documentary with reference to my porosity lens brief.

Camera Attachment to Protagonist:

Through previous camera research I discovered the manner in which one is able to control a camera using the flow graph to present the view in game mode, while I wished to further learn how to attach the camera’s view to a moving person. I discovered this through research, as all you need to do is set up the camera within track view as normal but with only one position set, ensuring the track view’s length runs for as long as you wish to record. From here you create the normal flow graph, adding the usual Entity: AttachChild set up to attach the camera to either the local player or an AI. Such is outlined below.

AI Path Experimentation:

In the discussion of using AI’s to portray my porosity lens documentary I realised that I would be required to learn how to operate AI paths which I was able to do so through some research. Simply one creates a path ensuring the snap to terrain is set, outlining the path before placing the AI you wish to have walk along it at the beginning. One should note that for such to work the AI paths ‘road’ setting must be turned off. From here you simply use the following flow graph to attach the AI to the path setting a trigger. I also discovered that I needed to refresh and generate AI navigations before running it to ensure it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment